Thursday 27 October 2016

Thoughts on Reading



Today I feel talkative and I'm gonna tell you the two words that make my heart dance on clouds; Reading and Baking. It's the things I do when I'm feeling happy or sad. I write a lot about food, cooking and baking on my blog. So I'm skipping the Baking part and moving on Reading.

I love reading but I can't call myself a reader, cause honestly I am lazy when it comes to reading.
But people tell me they see me as a book person and honestly I laugh at that because I rarely spend the afternoon with a book, so why do they keep saying it? I figured it must be my passion that makes the picture appear like that.
I may not be a reader but I certainly do love books! and I tend to spread my obsession with those around me. So that might explain it.

So as a person who loves books, but reads on very rare occasions, why do we read?







I'm sure a lot of readers, fiction readers specifically, could agree with me on the first reason.

I read to escape.
I read to escape daily stressful life problems,
to escape me realizing the distance between my current position and where I aspire to be,
to escape my inner sounds, and most importantly to escape the physical dimensions that limit my view of the world.

I read to empathize.
I am bound to go through this life with one body and one mind and with experiences that I can only get myself. No matter how I looked; I'm still limited.
Reading frees me from this body, this mind, and all my past.
I can put myself in the shoes of cinderella, a civil fighter, a young pretty billionaire or a white-haired grandma.
It gives me the opportunity to see life from other perspectives.


I read to learn.
" I am learning everyday to allow the space between where I want to be and where I am to inspire me and not terrify me".

I read for the love of language.
Words and letters are such beautiful things. Words are a beautiful type of art.
And I love how each language has its own kind of beauty. Let it be Arabic or English or any other language. Sadly though I think a lot of that beauty get lost in translation, thus I work extra hard to back up my language stock so that I can enjoy every work in its own language.

I read to make friends.
There's no rule that says you can't have fictional friends right? and even if it does exist I'd like to keep my fictional relationships.

I read to feed my curiosity.
I'm in a state of a constant questioning, I can't help but question why do the stars stay up in the sky without falling? How did old great kingdoms come to vanish? Who came first the chicken or the egg? okay not really curious about the last one. The point is my curiosity is a wild monster and I tame it by reading.

I read to listen.
Those characters may have been frozen in the form of typed letters, but they have their own stories and message to convey.

I read when I need a pat on the shoulders.
Books might be the best kind of comfort you could ever find.

I read to confirm that the world doesn't revolve around me.
Getting lost in thoughts, could somehow make you see your problems getting so big and feel that the world is ending. But reading has its way of shrinking me back to my human size. Confirms the fact that I am a single living dot in this massive universe. That life doesn't stop at this point, and that it's okay not to feel okay.

I read for fun.
What fun could you find in sitting on the couch staring at motionless words for 12 hours ?
I tell you; LOTS OF FUN.



Books are my favorite topic to talk about, so I had fun writing this post.

Tell me your reasons for reading? whether they're serious or silly I'd love to hear them!



Take care, 

No comments:

Post a Comment